Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weird Day

This is why I do it!
Weird day.  I was off.  You know, one of those days you drag yourself out of bed, feel tired for no reason, a shadow hovering too near.  I went for a hike in the morning and then hit the road.

I had a meeting with a POS dealer.  Yet another sales pitch.   Technical jargon, confusing proposals, promise the moon, dis the competition, name drop, guilt trip, I feel pressured.  I'm getting better at recognizing the pitch and my skin is getting thicker and my radar more tuned in.  The reality is everyone wants to sell you something, everyone wants and needs your business and I understand that, and sympathize with it, but in the end its got to work for MY business.

Then I had to pick up all the stuff to mail the notices for the ABC.  That was a bit of a shock!  These are the things that cost more, but you didn't see coming.  I made an allowance in my budget for the ABC license based on their fees.  What I didn't take into consideration is the cost to buy envelopes, stamps, reproduce 300 letters, not to mention the costs for fingerprinting & a newspaper posting.  Not that its all that much, but $300 over here and there starts adding up. 

One o'clock interview with chef;  he talked a good story and knew all the right things to say.  If I hadn't already talked to a chef friend of mine (name changed to protect the innocent), and found out he was terrible I might of considered pursuing things further.  He actually lied about his experience!

So I spent the rest of the night trying with my limited Excel skills, to import the file the city gave me for the mailing into labels, which for some reason I had to totally rebuild the file they gave me.  Oh, and yes, some back log accounting.....

This was one of those days you know to expect, its not really hard, no monumental roadblocks, just minor irritations.  They tell you everything takes longer than you thought and costs just a little more than you expected, and its true.  Its just enough to be frustrating.  Just enough to wear on you emotionally until you get that little devil on your shoulder whining, "tell me, why did you want to do this?"   It makes you think for a minute....

But there's no turning back, and I really don't want to.  I'm as committed as I've ever been in my life and I feel as positive and excited that this is going to be an incredible place, blessed beyond measure.  I feel it in my bones.  So I step out on the tightrope every day, and pray that my faith will see me to higher heights. 

amen lil' sister.....


1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! first day following your blog! When should we expect your grand opening?

    ReplyDelete