Thursday, July 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Pizzas

Margherita (amazing cab)
In the spirit of Independence Day, I think our Founding Fathers would be appalled at what it takes to get a little business opened in America today.  That being said, I did go down to the San Anselmo Building Department today and found out that both the Building and Planning Departments had APPROVED my plans!  Woo-Hoo!  However, they were waiting for the Fire Department's approval.  When I went down the street to the Ross Valley Fire Department, I found out the Fire Inspector was on vacation all week.  Wouldn't you know.....When I asked about the status of my review, she said it was "on hold"?  I'm hoping its "on hold" because he didn't have time to review our plan revisions before he left.  I'm also hoping it'll be the first thing he gets to Monday morning and takes "off hold" with his John Hancock!  My contractor is ready, I'm ready, the landlord is ready and I think San Anselmo is ready for some awesome pizza!

With fresh zucchini from the garden!
So, yesterday after a wonderful 4th of July, post Sleepy Hollow Parade party at our friends house, Sean and I headed home for a round of gluten-free pizza experiments.  I've been trying to perfect my dough, and Sean, having been stricken with celiac disease about 8 years ago, is my willing and exuberant guinea pig.  I'm happy to report, I'm getting closer!  I'm not 100% satisfied, but then I'm a bit of a perfectionist.  What I will say, is that if the best I get is what I made last night, it would still be pretty damn good and 95% better than most of what I've tried.  That being said, the experiments go on and I've got a pretty good idea of how to alter the recipe to get the results I'm after.  You'll never get a beautiful, light yeasty crown around the outside with gluten-free dough, but you can get a thin cracker like crust with bubbling, and that's what I'm after.  Even though my regular pizza dough is a natural, long fermentation process and extremely easy to digest and full of probiotics, there are those who CANNOT tolerate gluten, for them I will proudly have a house-made alternative.

Piadine
Got my employee manual started today.  Its hilarious how you can really procrastinate on things that are tedious and time consuming.  I've been putting this off for weeks!  Also got the builders risk insurance lined up and paid for, and the contract with my contractor signed and delivered today.  Also did a little employee scouting.  I've got my eye on a few outstanding people I'd LOVE to recruit!  There are some things you can teach people and there are somethings that they are just born with.  A happy and fun-loving spirit that cares for others and takes pride in what they do, cannot be taught.  That's what I'm looking for at Pizzalina!

Have a wonderful weekend........  


GF dough is best rolled out with a rolling pin

No comments:

Post a Comment